Parks COVID-19 Update
The Chicopee Parks & Recreation Department has been working very closely with Mayor John Vieau’s Office, Health Department, Maintenance Department, DPW, and the Chicopee Police Department during these difficult times.
We believe that access to the City of Chicopee’s parks is vital to the mental and physical health of our community. It is our goal to provide the right balance between maintaining access to parks and open spaces and ensuring the health and safety of our residents.
While we encourage people to get out and take advantage of Chicopee’s parks and open recreational spaces, we urge you to follow the CDC’s precautionary guidelines to help keep our parks open. The Chicopee Parks & Recreation department has made the following changes to our park usage policies:
- Chicopee Parks & Rec continues to encourage the community to visit our parks for passive recreation such as going for a walk, run, or bicycle ride.
- Park users should maintain proper social and physical distancing at all times in all areas of our parks.
- All playgrounds, athletic fields, basketball/tennis/volleyball courts, skate parks, and pavilions are closed until further notice.
- Group sports (basketball, soccer, etc.) are not social distancing compliant and should not occur.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after visiting parks.
This infographic from the NRPA has great tips on how to maintain physical distancing in our parks.
The Chicopee Parks and Recreation Department has made the following changes to our program offerings:
- Easter Hunt at Szot Park on April 11th has been postponed until further notice.
- Youth baseball/softball has been suspended until further notice.
- Spring soccer has been suspended until further notice.
- Adult slow-pitch softball has been suspended until further notice.
- Field permits will not be given out until further notice.
OPEE Summer Adventures
- OPEE Sign-Up Day on April 4th has been cancelled. Online sign-up forms and procedure will be released shortly. A new sign-up date will be announced.
- Art-ventures for Kids at Home Online program is open for registration now!
- Tang Soo Do Korean Martial Arts has been suspended until further notice.
- Hatha Yoga has been canceled.
- Swim Lessons have been canceled.
- Cartoons For Fun (April 21 – 24) has been canceled.
- Art-ventures for Kids (April 20 – 24) has been canceled.
- Lifeguard Training Classes (March 21, 28, and April 4) have been canceled.
- Babysitting Class (April 23) has been canceled.
- CPR/AED/First Aid Certification Class (April 22) has been canceled.
- Tennis Lessons Session #1 has been canceled.
We encourage residents to visit our new website at www.chicopeerec.com and register for upcoming programs! You can follow us on Facebook @chicopeeparksdept or Twitter @ChicopeeParks to stay up to date on all of our Chicopee Parks and Recreation news!
The Chicopee Parks and Recreation Office is closed to the public until May 20th. Please call us at (413) 594-3481 with any questions or for refunds.