What if my vehicle is traded?
The abatement application for a vehicle, which was traded, must be filed along with a copy of the registration for the new vehicle. The registration contains the date of transfer. The bill on the trade-in vehicle is prorated back to the last day of the month prior to the one in which the vehicle's registration was cancelled. The excise bill on the new vehicle will be prorated as of the beginning of the month in which the vehicle was registered.

Show All Answers

1. Who should file excise tax abatement?
2. When should I file an excise abatement application?
3. Where can I get an application for abatement of motor vehicle?
4. Should I pay the excise before filing an abatement application?
5. What if the excise abatement is denied?
6. What if I move to another Massachusetts community?
7. What if I move to another state?
8. What if I sell my vehicle?
9. What if I transfer my plates to another vehicle?
10. What if my vehicle is traded?
11. What if my vehicle is stolen?