governor baker's Temporary prohibition of vaping products
On September 24, 2019, Governor Baker declared a public health emergency in the Commonwealth due to severe lung disease associated with the use of e-cigarettes and vaping products and the epidemic of e-cigarette use among youth.
The Commissioner of Public Health has temporarily prohibited the sale and display of all vaping products and e-cigarettes until further notice.
Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE or “Triple E”) and West Nile Virus (WNV) are mosquito borne viruses that occur in Massachusetts and can cause illness ranging from a mild fever to more serious disease like encephalitis or meningitis. Protect yourself from illness by doing simple things: using insect repellents; wearing long-sleeved clothing; scheduling outdoor activities to avoid the hours around dawn and dusk during peak mosquito season; repairing damaged window and door screens; and removing standing water from the areas around your home.
About the Department
The Chicopee Health Department is a human service and regulatory agency that administers a variety of public health programs and activities. We assess the health status of our community and develop policies and plans to meet identified public health needs. Our responsibility includes assuring compliance with Public Health Laws and the Health Codes of Chicopee and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Duties & Responsibilities
Working with many other community partners, our department assures the delivery of essential services to:
- Prevent communicable and chronic diseases, injuries, and disabilities
- Protect against environmental hazards that threaten health and safety
- Promote the health and development of infants and children and the wellness of our citizens and our communities
- Prepare for health problems by planning for a public health emergency
- Food-borne illness complaint response
- Road kill pick-up
- Tenant lead determination (by appointment)
- Tuberculosis testing (by appointment)
- Sharps disposal kiosks located at the Health Department and at the Chicopee RiverMills Senior Center, located at 5 W Main St
Copies of Ordinances
Copies of Health Department ordinances are available upon request.