- City Government
- Departments H-Z
- Health Department
Governor Baker signed An Act Modernizing Tobacco Control into law
On Wednesday, November 27, 2019, Governor Baker signed An Act Modernizing Tobacco Control into law. This legislation imposes new restrictions on the sale of e-cigarette and nicotine vaping products (referred to in the law collectively as “electronic nicotine delivery systems”) and flavored tobacco products.
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) has promulgated an emergency regulation, 105 CMR 665, to implement certain sections of the new state law: An Act Modernizing Tobacco Control. This regulation took effect on December 11, 2019. As a result, there are important new requirements for retail establishments that sell tobacco products, including e-cigarettes.
About the DepartmentThe Chicopee Health Department is a human service and regulatory agency that administers a variety of public health programs and activities. We assess the health status of our community and develop policies and plans to meet identified public health needs. Our responsibility includes assuring compliance with Public Health Laws and the Health Codes of Chicopee and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Working with many other community partners, our department assures the delivery of essential services to:
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prevent communicable and chronic diseases, injuries, and disabilities
- Protect against environmental hazards that threaten health and safety
- Promote the health and development of infants and children and the wellness of our citizens and our communities
- Prepare for health problems by planning for a public health emergency
- Food-borne illness complaint response
- Road kill pick-up
- Tenant lead determination (by appointment)
- Tuberculosis testing (by appointment)
- Sharps disposal kiosks located at the Health Department and at the Chicopee RiverMills Senior Center, located at 5 W Main St