Business Regulation-Licensing

Home Occupation Licenses (275-41)
A license is required for home occupations. Any person operating a business without a license or proper permit shall be ordered to cease operations and can be fined. Information and applications for home occupation licenses can be obtained from the City Clerk's Office.
Enforcement - Building Department
Fine - $100

Alcoholic Beverages (109-1)
It is unlawful for any person to possess, consume from and/or transport an open container of alcoholic beverages on any public street, sidewalk or way or on any grounds owned by the city or any place to which the public has a right of access. Exempt are events and festivals licensed by the License Commission.
Enforcement - Police Department: 413-594-1700 or 413-592-6341
Fine: 1st offense $50
    2nd offense $100
    3rd offense - License Suspension
Prohibition Sale of Tobacco Products
Whoever sells tobacco products by vending machines or otherwise to a person under the age of 18 years of age should be punished by a fine.
Fine: 1st offense $100
    2nd offense $200
    3rd offense $300
In order to vote in any municipal, state or national election, you must be registered to vote. You can register to vote in person at the Registrar of Voters Office in City Hall, Registry of Motor Vehicles at the Fairfield Mall, and any Chicopee Public Library. You may also register by completing and mailing an Affidavit of Voter Registration, available at the Chicopee Senior Center, 5 West Main Street, Chicopee High School, Chicopee Comprehensive High School, Elms College, Doverbrook Estates Office, the Willimansett Nursing Home, or by calling the Registrar's Office (413-594-1550). The Affidavit of Voter Registration must be received or postmarked by the 20th day before an election for you to be able to vote in that election.

Call the Registrar's Office at 413-594-1550 for polling location information, or for the names of your local aldermen or legislators. The Registrar's Office can also provide proof of residency for Chicopee residents along with census information.

Public Records
The City Clerk provides access to public records in compliance with State Public Records Law and corresponding regulations. That office also provides certified copies of vital records and conducts or assists with genealogical research for members of the public.

The City Clerk issues state licenses and permits including:
  • Marriage
  • Permits for raffles and bazaars
The City Clerk also issues county or local licenses, permits, and certificates including:
  • Dog licenses
  • Birth certificates
  • Business certificates
  • Death certificates
  • Fuel storage permits
New Businesses
New businesses in the city may be subject to personal property tax. An informational brochure is available in the Assessor's Office. Businesses seeking public incentive financing may contact the Office of Community Development.

Tax Abatement and Exemption
Applications for tax exemptions are available at the Assessor's Office. For additional information call 413-594-1430.

City Maps
City Maps are available in the Engineering Department, located at the Department of Public Works Offices at 115 Baskin Drive, and also in the Department of Planning and Development located in the City Hall Annex, 4th Floor.
Fee - $2 for large map/$1 for small map.

Property Record Cards
Property report card copies are available for a fee at the Assessors' Office in City Hall.

Plot Maps
Plot maps are available in the Assessors' Office.

Operating a Business Without License (188)
Fine - $200, $50/day thereafter