What if my vehicle is stolen?
If the vehicle is stolen and not recovered within 30 days, the owner will be entitled to abatement, if the theft of the vehicle was reported to the local police within 48 hours of discovery of the theft. After 30 days, the owner must surrender the certificate of registration and obtain a certificate from the Registry of Motor Vehicles. This certificate and the local police report of the theft should be presented to the board of Assessors for abatement. The board will adjust the bill and grant abatement for the remaining portion of the year. If the motor vehicle is subsequently recovered and re-registered, another excise bill will be issued for the remainder of the year.

Show All Answers

1. Who should file excise tax abatement?
2. When should I file an excise abatement application?
3. Where can I get an application for abatement of motor vehicle?
4. Should I pay the excise before filing an abatement application?
5. What if the excise abatement is denied?
6. What if I move to another Massachusetts community?
7. What if I move to another state?
8. What if I sell my vehicle?
9. What if I transfer my plates to another vehicle?
10. What if my vehicle is traded?
11. What if my vehicle is stolen?