What is a business certificate and how do I file a business certificate?
In order to regulate trade, Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 110, Section 5 requires any person conducting a business, whether individually or as a partnership, under any title other than the real name of the person conducting the business to file a business certificate with the City Clerk. These certificates are often referred to as a “doing business as” certificate. For example, if you are Jane Smith, selling books as a sole proprietor, a partnership, or a corporation, and you are using Books Galore as a business name, you are required to have a business certificate on file with the City Clerk, unless the business is incorporated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

In order to file a business certificate with the City of Chicopee, you first must check with the Building Department to see if your location needs a certificate of occupancy or if the certificate of occupancy needs to be updated. The number you can reach them at is 413-594-1440.
Business certificates are valid for four years from the date of issuance, and there is a filing fee of $25.00. The business certificate should be posted in the place of business and be furnished upon request by any person who has purchased goods or services from such business.
You must modify your existing certificate of any business changes or file a Discontinuance form with the City Clerk if your business ceases to operate, please contact the City Clerk’s Office for the procedure.

Show All Answers

1. How may I obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or a death certificate?
2. What is the procedure for obtaining a Marriage License?
3. How do I register my new puppy/dog?
4. What is a business certificate and how do I file a business certificate?
5. How may I receive a Federal Tax ID?
6. How may I obtain a State Sales Tax Number?
7. Do I need a Tag Sale/Yard Sale Permit in Chicopee?
8. Can I buy my fishing and hunting license at the City Clerk’s Office?